Friday 20 September 2013

Sprue Cutters Union #9: Paint


- What paint(s) do you use? -

Paint
As a teen, I painted with Revell and Humbrol enamels, because I didn't know any other paint. The shelves in the shop stocked those 2 and I never even considered there could have been an alternative. Actually, I don't belive there was one back then.

Last year, when I picked up modelling again, I researched airbrushing extensively and picked Vallejo Model Air, because they are less (or non-) toxic and Chung from the WarGamersConsortium spoke highly of it in his YouTube videos.

I didn't yet know I would be fighting the airbrush AND the paint at the same time, but in the meantime I've gotten better at it. When adding new colours to my collection, I stuck to the Vallejo brand, not because it's my preferred brand per se, but because I'm still experimenting with paints and products and want to limit the number of variables.

Don't get me wrong, in general I'm happy with the Vallejo paints. The Model Air generally airbrushes well and the Model Colour brushes very easily. The few models I've finished are painted to my (current) satisfaction. I'm sure I'll get better at it with time and (lots of) practice.

I experimented a little with LifeColor and Revell acrylics for brushpainting and found both to work well. I once smelled a Tamiya bottle and decided to steer away from this brand.

Primer
So far, I've always used primer, as the Vallejo paint seems to really need it. The Vallejo primer is very good, even though it occasionally clogs the airbrush, so I'm now about to change my way of working regarding this.

Varnish
I'm less happy about the Vallejo varnishes, the Gloss in particular, or I simply lack the skill at airbrushing them. As an additive to a paint mix to modify the sheen, I like it, but not as a varnish itself. For this I've been experimenting with Alclad II Klear Kote, both matte and semi-matt, with very acceptable results. The smell is rather hard, so ventilation is important. I have one bottle of Tamiya gloss clear - also rather pungeunt - and am happy with the results.

Since I'm still only starting to experiment with weathering and because I suspect it might be a future topic, I won't go into the products I've been playing with.



Find out what other Union members prefer in the links below. Better yet, join the Sprue Cutters Union! All it requires is a blog and a passion for our shared hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment