Tuesday, 26 November 2013

Sprue Cutters Union 19: Back in Black

Black friday is a post-Thanksgiving tradition to give insane discounts to the horde of Christmas-shoppers. As a modeller, it would seem the best time to score one or more extra pricey kits, considered too expensive the rest of the year.

- What did you score this Black Friday weekend? -

Unfortunateley, Black friday is an American tradition, not honoured here in Europe. So I didn't get to go crazy shopping. I guess the only thing I can do, is report on my latest purchases, made past weekend at a local  scale model convention.


Trumpeter's 1/35 Panzerjägerwagen, which is basically a tank on rails. Much more rapidly deployed, as trains can move a lot faster than a tank, but they can only go where the rails point, of course.
I liked the included rail-section, eliminating the need to build a base for it myself. I bought it for €15 as a second-hand from our very own chairman at IPMS Ghent. Not 10 minutes later, I saw it at a vendor table for €40. Score!
Bending the included photo-etch will prove a challenge, but that just makes it interesting and a good learning experience. If I frack it up, I can still go with the plastic version.


Revell's 1/72 Kamov Ka-50 Hokum is a kit I built 20 years ago and was very proud of. Unfortunately it got destroyed after getting squished between two planks while preparing to move to another house.
I bought this for €3, because it had no decals. I see this as an opportunity to try and print my own decals, another area of our modelling hobby that I have yet to venture into.


Revell's 1/40 M-48 Bridge builder. A classic kit from 1959, re-issued in 2009. I believe it was meant to be 1/35 but was so far off scale that they just re-issued it as 1/40. It's one of those kits where the box-art and subject (or combination thereof) just speaks to me. At €21, I considered it for a few minutes, but ended up circling back around the room and grabbing it.



Are you as anxious as me to see what the other Spruecutters got? Follow the links below :

2 comments:

  1. Quite the variety you've got there. Particularly like the Hokum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey claim them as Black Friday purchases, that way you have an excuse for the better half....lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...