Monday 15 June 2020

BSG - Assembly

Like most sci-fi models, assembling the model works best in sub-assemblies or you run the risk of not being able to easily access certain parts for painting later.

Overall, the parts fit together well, with very big tabs and connectors. This makes it a sturdy model and difficult to mis-align parts.

The pylon arms fit in the hull and need to be aligned properly. Form some reason, these wouldn't align for me and I had to remove the protrusions on all connectors. Once removed, the pylons fit perfectly and were aligned horizontally.


The large inserts in the main hull are where the pylons would fit when retracted. This isn't an option on this model, unless you were to attack the pylon arms with a powertool. Anyone, the Galactica is most recognizable with pylons extended, so I don't really care. I think this'll look best painted flat black, to avoid too much visibility inside.

There's a large gap between the inserts and the outer hull, so with the Sprue Goo I created very recently, I did an attempt at reducing this. It'll only be visible when turning the model upside down, but hey.


The main engine at the rear is a transparent part. I painted the inside transparent blue and filled the part that has to remain transparent with Humbrol Maskol. You can use any masking fluid, or silly putty, or possibly even tape, but I found this the easiest.


No comments:

Post a Comment