Monday, 3 December 2012

First "real" paint

Now that the airbrushing is going a little better, I'm gonna try to put a first coat of "real" paint on some of the primed parts.

The first candidate is the Jaguar. The camouflage scheme calls for dark grey and dark green, two colours I don't really have, but approximations will be good enough for this tiny model. There's no need to spend money on specific colours for this 4 euro model, if it was only bought to test airburshing in the first place.

For the dark grey base coat, I just took light grey and added a few drops (about 20% I would estimate) of black. Painting went well, I could do the entire model in one go. It could have been a touch darker, but the goal for this kit is not realism.


I then switched to yellow ochre, which is the base coat for the M60 tank. The topside went on rather smooth. When the paintcup was empty, I took a risk by adding the paint directly to the cup of the airbrush, then add thinner and stir in the cup itself. I usually put the paint in a jar or something, add a little thinner (10%) then mix and use a pipette to transfer the paint to the airbrush.
The risk did not pay off, because the airbrush started splattering and then clogged completely. Repeated cleaning did nothing to avail it, so I disassembled nozzle and nozzle cap, soaked in cleaner for a few minutes, then left everything to dry.

(Maybe I just switched up my bottles again and added cleaner instead of thinner.)


The ochre turned out a little too greenish for me, but once the other 3 colours are added in the intended camouflage scheme, we will see if it looks better. As long as it's not fully assembled and finished, you can always start over. In the WORST case, it looks ugly and I have to throw it away. It's still a cheap practice-model after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...