Thursday 21 May 2020

PL-01 - A very bland basecoat

The PL-01 has received it's basecoat, which is basically also the final coat.

Because the result looks very bland, I want to go a step further. I've always struggled to avoid monochromaticity, although I find the word itself simply fascinating. It's worth 30 points in Scrabble, NOT counting any multipliers.
It's easier when you have some kind of camouflage scheme, but harder - I think - on a single-colour object, especially when it's a big flat surface.


My inspiration for colour modulation comes from Mig Jimenez. Not that he has the pattent on the technique, but he explains it nicely in this short how-to, even though I will only apply a variation of it. I also have a DVD where it is explained, but 10 years later, I'm sure there's a ton of similar stuff on Youtube now.

In the picture below, taken with simple daylight coming from the window behind, it is clear that panels 1, 2 and 3 appear to have a different shade of the base coat. I will be trying to artificially enhance this for a better result. Or make it worse, who knows.


I took the model outside for some exaggerated examples, so I can study which panels catch more of the sun's rays than others. Wish me luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment