Saturday 18 January 2014

Bismarck - Finished

This one has actually been "finished" since november 18, but I'm not extremely happy with it. It's a cheap model, so expectations weren't be too high. The kit was decent enough. 

There's really only 2 problems with it :
  1. I fail to take a decent picture of it.
  2. I can't seem to find the right way to weather it a little
The first issue is a more common problem. Sometimes I just get it right and take decent pictures of my models. Sometimes I just can't find the right angle or lightsource. Maybe I should invest in a  few decent lamps?

The second issue I don't quite know how to approach. It just looks too clean, too shiny.
I tried airbrushing it with Tamiya brown panel line accent colour, but the result is too subtle. 
I then tried airbrushing Vallejo black wash, but that was a disaster. This product behaves differently from other washes. I'm getting used to washes flowing into the little details. The Vallejo wash just smothers the entire object. I guess you're supposed to remove it with cue tips or something. I just dunked the model in water and removed all the black stuff again.

For now, it is done. I plan on putting it on a water-base later, because I'd like to experiment with representing water.

Price : €1
Number of parts : 31
Time spent : 3.5 hours
Project completion time : 71 days

Paint : (Vallejo)

  • US Grey (Hull)
  • Basalt grey (Hull, front and back)
  • Light grey (vertical surfaces, details)
  • Intermediate blue (horizontal surfaces)
  • Dark Seagreen (Planes)
  • Black grey a.k.a. Anthracite (masts, funnel)

Other :

  • Alclad II Klear kote semi-matte
  • Microscale's Micro-sol and Micro-set


  1. Looks good to me! But this is why I don't tackle more ships...I'm not sure how to weather them!

    1. Exactly! I will finish the Missouri and try to make it look good, but it just doesn't feel like something I might do again. Might even reconsider the Enterprise on my wishlist.