Wednesday 21 August 2013

Sprue Cutters Union #5: Philosophy

This week, the Sprue Cutters Union asks us about our modelling philosophy.

If you'd like to be part of the union, all you need is a modelling-related blog. Write a post about the weekly topic and provide a few links to the other union members.

- What is your modelling philosophy? -

My modelling philosophy is very simple : I enjoy building things and keeping it simple. I'm not a rivet-counter, absolutist or colour-purist. That means that - so far - I build everything out of the box.

I don't use aftermarket photo-etch or resin replacement parts. If a part is not scale-appropriate, so be it. The M1A1 Abrams tank threads are for the wrong version, the barrel is too thick and who uses vinyl tracks when you can buy Friulmodel super tracks? I won't lose any sleep over it.

I build the kit as intended by the kit designer. If it is wrong on some account, either because it was a cheap kit to begin with, or they really did mess up, I accept that and continue working. I want to have fun while building something. There's often enough reason for frustration at the workbench (it's part of the deal), but I'm not gonna make it worse by spending $50 extra on every model.

I *will* check if the colour callouts in the building instructions are somewhat accurate by doing research and checking photos online, but if a colour turns out not in my possession and something similar is, I will go with that. I have a bottle of "Hull red" which is actually too dark for it's purpose, but if I go buy a slightly different tint of brownish red, I've spent money on something most people won't even notice. There's so many shades of grey (dare I say 50?), that any person who remarks about my battleship being the wrong blueish light-grey tone, won't get more than a shrug.

Now, don't get me wrong, I respect the modeller that goes out of his way to make a model as accurate as possible. I too can marvel at scratchbuild replacements and PE parts. It's just not my way of doing things.

Maybe, some day I'll look back at this differently. I'm still getting the hang of many things. I still fight with the airbrush, I've only recently started removing seams, so I'm gradually getting better and raising the bar for myself. But it IS possible to make the absolute best out of a kit, using only what's provided.


Check out what the other Union members have to say:

No comments:

Post a Comment